Sunday, February 6, 2011

Barnyard BBQ



Today's special blog post brought to you after a nap much interrupted by my puppy who either wanted to sit on my head or chew on my husband's favorite tie (he succeeded in doing both). I posted a few pics of him with this blog. The second one was while he was trying to chew on me and I was trying to get a picture. The first is I finally got him to sit still for a second but he was leaning to try and sniff at me. And yes, my bedroom floor is a bit messy. :P

Last night my husband took our family to Barnyard BBQ. It's a local restaurant right by his new work place that offers lots of different food and yet some of the same good ol' stuff.

The building is small, almost as if it were a trailer transformed into a restaurant. The decor is all country stuff with wagon wheels and pictures of farm and country life.

I want to give it a great review because my hubs really liked it but I'm struggling to do so and to tell the truth. Amory got hot dogs with mac and cheese. The hot dogs were definitely over cooked and looked like red leather. The mac and cheese was good which is the side dish I also chose.

My main dish was the french dip sandwich. To be honest, it wasn't very good. I couldn't finish it off and I'm not known for being a big food waster. The au jus sauce was definitely bland and there was just something about the consistency of the meat that made me think of other things that may have actually come from a barnyard.

Michael, the hubs, got beef brisket with potato salad and onion rings. His was definitely the best of all the food. The potato salad was classic without being over-done and the onion rings were the basics. The brisket had BBQ sauce which flavored it up nicely and it pulled apart smoothly.

Another con to our experience was the portion versus cost of the meal. As Americans, we're used to big portions and I was honestly surprised with how small the entrees were for the price. We got two sodas, an appetizer (good old standby cheese sticks) and three dishes (one of which was a kid's meal). This cost us nearly $40. That's not a ton of money but I'm thinking we could have gone to another place and eaten more for less (and maybe even liked it).

So perhaps Barnyard BBQ is good when it comes to the brisket but for all else, just go somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment