Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Joss Whedon


Alright, this show was hot when I was in middle school and high school. I never got into it and only had vague notions about what was in it. Then I got Netflix and ran out of other shows to watch so I jumped into this one. Little did I know, it was a seven seasons long series and took me a little over two and half months to completely watch. But by the time I was done with it, I felt completely satisfied with the length of the series.

That being said, it's really difficult to keep this post short with so much material to work from. Overall, I haven't watched much of Joss Whedon's other stuff but through this series, I've come to really appreciate his talent as a writer. In a series like this, you know money is a motivating factor and trying to keep the show and the actors interesting can be a hard job for the writer but Whedon pulled it off excellently. He often had moments where I was thinking what was going on was all for ratings and then he'd pull out this awesome plot move that tied it all together (ex: Dawn as Buffy's sister). It takes lots of skill to work around ratings and the actual integrity of the show at the same time.

The actors overall were decent, though I definitely had a love-hate relationship with Sarah Gellar as Buffy and David Boreanaz as Angel. Her nose bugged me a lot sometimes and other times I thought she was cute. And David's acting skills are very good but his forehead is just so reminiscent of a cave man I can't help but be reminded of Geico. :( Willow was great and so was Xander. But you know who was the best? Yea... Spike. He will always hold a soft place in my heart.

As a huge fan of the paranormal, I really loved the subject matter of this series and how it almost made these kinds of things mainstream. I'm certain that it helped Stephenie Meyer's expansion into popular culture as a vampire writer. And I loved how Whedon could make fun of himself as there seemed to be a never ending pile of impending apocalypse doom and the characters had jokes about it.

I do recommend this series to anyone. Although my friends of the Mormon variety may find some uncomfortable moments, I do challenge them to look beyond the issue and into the interesting facets of the characters.

I feel like this post is lamely too short for the goodness I partook of but let me just finish that I've spent so much time with these characters that I actually feel like they are my friends.

Oh, and Felicia Day shows up in the last season. She's not as hot as she is now but I can still appreciate just seeing her cute face. XD


2 comments:

  1. Joss Whedon is kinda hit or miss, if you liked Buffy you should totally get down on some Angel.

    Before that though you have to watch Firefly, there was only like 14 episodes so it never had time to 'jump the shark' so to speak. Very solid scifi from mr. whedon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually did catch a little bit of Firefly but to be honest, I'm not even sure how many episodes I watched. It wasn't that awesome for me but maybe if I get bored I'll give it a shot.

    Right now I'm starting Angel and although I have low hopes, I'm going to give it a fair chance. Sometimes it's hard for me to like David Boreanaz and other times he's pretty chill. So we'll see.

    Thanks for reading and commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete